For years, the Texas Chapter was a spot of pride in Delta Upsilon. Originally beginning as a local group called the 1834 Club, two years after its inception, it was installed as Delta Upsilon’s 66th chapter on Oct. 2, 1949. Throughout the course of the next five decades, the chapter would succeed in a number of areas and receive a DU Trustees Excellence Award in 1971, a precursor to the Sweepstakes Award. Over time, 872 men would be initiated into the chapter. The chapter closed, however, in 2000 due to failing chapter operations. Shortly followed by an unsuccessful recolonization attempt in 2002. When returning to campus in 2016, the alumni and colony members committed themselves to success and set a goal to recharter within one year.Recolonization efforts began in August 2016 and were led by International Fraternity staff.
Russel Harp, Kansas State ’16, spearheaded the efforts with assistance from fellow Leadership Consultants Jacob Ellis, Purdue ’16, and Hayden Rahn, Oregon ’16. Within a few months, the group had met its recruitment goals, and the Colonization Ceremony was held Oct. 30, 2016, with 45 associate members.
Thanks to the Texas Chapter alumni, the colony was able to begin with a chapter facility on campus. Affectionately known as the “Duck Hut,” the property sits at 2305 Leon Street in Austin. Alumni also provided monetary support through a Chapter Legacy Plan with the Delta Upsilon Educational Foundation, formed a Chapter Advisory Board, and even created a mentoring program between alumni and the undergraduate men. The Texas Chapter’s Reinstallation and Initiation Ceremonies were held Nov. 12, 2017, in the auditorium of the Texas State Capitol, the same building where 68 years prior, the chapter was first chartered (that time in the Senate Chamber). Guests included numerous Texas Chapter alumni, DU alumni, and The University of Texas at Austin Sorority and Fraternity Life staff.